Travel toys and travel dolls are a great way to make sure that your baby stays calm and entertained on a flight.
Staying in a confined place for a long time is a challenge for adults, not to mention little ones, who have very limited patience.
Don’t be anxious! We prepared a list of travel toys recommended by our Club Bébé Voyage members that will entertain babies, tots and preschoolers.
Things to consider when choosing travel toys
We have summarized several things you need to take into account when you choose travel toys… based on our Club members’ personal experience!
- Safety is always the top priority. Toddlers love to put everything in their mouths to suck and chew on, especially when they are teething. Therefore, no sharp edges and non-toxic materials should be taken into consideration.
- Easy to pack. Your carry-on luggage is already stuffed with diapers, sanitizers, baby bottles, etc. Light and portable travel toys are a must.
- Easy to clean. The toys might be thrown around during the trip. Make sure your babies have a clean toy without germs and harmful bacteria.
- Be enjoyable and master skills simultaneously. Educational travel toys help babies’ brain building.
- Quiet. When on a flight, it’s proper etiquette to not disturb other passengers. Stay away from toys with bells and whistles, but even a rattle may be too noisy for a plane.
Here are some of our Club members favorite travel toys, tested on flights with real babies:
Finger puppets (0-5 years old)
- 10 Pcs for one set
- They will be your babies’ cute travel companions.
- You can tell stories about these characters
- Older kids can make up their own stories
HYSIGUAN Nesting Dolls (all ages)
- The travel dolls have 5 animals of different sizes in total (including bear, deer, koala, rabbit, lizard).
- Made with natural wooden materials and non-toxic paints.
- The surface is smooth.
- Can be explored layer by layer to satisfy children’s curiosity
Buckle travel dolls (12 months and up)
- Practice hand-eye coordination
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Learn color, counting, and numbers
DOLLFUN My Sweet Baby Travel Dolls Play Set (3 years old and up)
- Lightweight for your little ones to hold, carry and cuddle.
- Encouraging babies to explore the outdoors with a baby doll
- A storybook comes with the travel doll
Educational Travel Toys
Tiny love spin ball (0-18 months)
- Roll the ball to encourage your little ones to catch it
- Play a peek-a-boo game
- Develop color cognition
Montessori Tissue Box Sensory Toy (6 months- 3 years old)
- 6 chiffon tissues and 3 crackle tissues to trigger sensory exploration
- Peek-a-Boo mirror on the side to develop facial recognition
- Fun characters and rainbow/stars prints on the sides promote cognitive skills
- Teether is included
MOBI ZIPPEE (18 months or up)
- Support fine and gross motor skills, and sensory exploration.
- Use bright colors to stimulate babies’ vision.
- Easy-to-hold grips promote the use of tactile response.
- Encourage babies to hear and feel various sounds and vibrations the cords make.
SKYFIELD Wooden Farm Harvest Game Montessori Toy (1-3 years old)
- Colorful vegetables and fruits help educate color differentiation
- Size exercising to help brain building and motor skills improvement
- Cute and realistic design for further farming/gardening game
Wooden Lacing Toy (3 years old)
- Develop children’s imagination and hand-eye coordination.
- Extremely durable to withstand numerous bumps and drops.
- Can be dragged everywhere, while still being securely attached.
AiTuiTui Magnetic Drawing Board Mini Travel Doodle (0-5 years old)
- Colorful drawing screens (Blue, Green, Yellow, Red) inspire babies’ imagination and creativity.
- With bottom wipes, the board is always reusable
- Durable ABS materials with non-toxic no smell keep babies’ clothing clean and prevent inhalation of dirty crayons and chalk powder.
Pro tips from our Club members:
- Wrap each toy individually because unwrapping is in itself a fun activity!
- Bring lots of snacks for you and for your babies. Playing with tupperware has entertained our kiddos for hours… well, minutes!
For kids under 2 years old:
- Ask for a free seat (if available)… at check-in, at the gate and again onboard to have a bit of extra space if you have a lap child.
- Or buy a child seat and bring your car seat on the plane. It will keep your baby safe and contained, not to mention freeing you up.
Don’t forget to share your experience with these travel toys with us on any social media platforms, using #bebevoyage hashtag. And please let us know anything we have missed on our list but you highly recommend in the comments below.
You might also be interested in this Bébé Voyage article: